Default file manager and folder associations

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:32:36 BST 2012

On Sunday 17 June 2012 12:21:07 todd rme wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Jacopo De Simoi <wilderkde at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Dear kcd,
> >
> >  I am thinking for a possible fix for bug #293576 [1], but I could not
> > make
> > up my mind so far. As far as I understand the situation is as follows:
> >
> > - There is no explicit way of setting the default file manager for the KDE
> > workspace; however, there is an implicit way of doing that by selecting
> > the
> > desired program as the default file association for folders.
>
> What about system settings -> Default Applications -> File Manager?

Hey, I actually never happened to use this kcm, and did not find any reference
to it by googling around “change default file manager in kde”.
Todd, thanks a lot for the insight!

So, I need to take back my observation about the lack of an “explicit” way of
dealing with this setting. Still, it seems that this kcm is a  simply another
way to set the default association for folders, that is, it suffers from the
same issue that I described before.
Any comments on the proposed solutions? Perhaps we could somehow decouple the
kcm Todd mentioned from the default folder association?

Thanks again,
  __J