RFC: Moving KWallet Password dialog into Plasma

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin-RoXCvvDuEio at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 16:23:57 BST 2012

On Tuesday 24 July 2012 14:20:48 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le vendredi 20 juillet 2012 17:58:04 Martin Gräßlin a écrit :
> > Providing a password safe and asking for the master password is also a
> > "system" service and should belong into the workspace.
> >
> > So here my idea: let's move the password dialog into the desktop shell.
> > Have it as a so-called "persistent" notification popping out of the panel
> > and be shown on top of all other windows till the user either dismisses
> > it or enters the password.
>
> I like the idea, but I have to ask the annoying question: what happens when
> an application which needs access to the wallet is running outside of
> Plasma? Ideally we could hook into the running workspace password safe
> (gnome keyring, mac os keychain, windows equivalent if any).
As others already pointed out in that case the KWallet would have to fall back
to the currently used window. The same way as notifications and jobs handle
it.

Sorry for not including it in my original mail, that was clear to me from the
beginning ;-)
> If I am not
> mistaken this is what the FDO secret storage spec [1] is about, but is it
> in a state we can rely on for KDE SC 4.10?
We probably need to gather some devs around it. Given that I don't want to
work on my proposal anyway I probably do a blog post/maybe even a dot story to
look for devs to work on it.

Cheers
Martin