RFC: Moving KWallet Password dialog into Plasma

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Jul 21 11:56:46 BST 2012

On Friday 20 July 2012 20:27:36 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> I don't atm. *really* know how kwallet operates but on your claim the
> question is what additional security can be gained by the extra password.
None.

As you said it will be as secure as KWallet if we decrypt a databse at login
(using the user password).

Dario and I have been thinking ont his issue for long time, in the case of
KWallet one can hack the system (once inside) with a bash script:

Dbus calls to perform in org.kde.KWallet:

-wallets, will return all the created wallets
-isOpen? If it not connect to the walletOpened signal and wait
-users, this will return all current app's accessing the wallet

>From this point you have everything you want, "kdewallet" as the wallet id and
an app which currently has access (so you don't bother the user with the
popup).

We haven't had the time to explore SecretService in deep, but apparently I was
able to remove an entire secret using more or less the same technique, logic
says that if I can remove secrets I may as real read them, or at least write
them.

As you noted as well, first thing we need is to be able to identify app, so we
can grant the correct permissions:
http://drfav.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/the-quest-towards-trusted-client-
applications-a-rambling/

Finally for 4.10 I plan to modify Wallet so once opened, it doesn't bother
with the popup per applications (at least by default), since it makes no sense
at all.

Cheerz !