About Writing Documentation in KDE

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at absint.com
Mon Jul 2 10:35:12 BST 2012

> El Dilluns, 2 de juliol de 2012, a les 10:00:05, Anne Wilson va
> escriure:

> > On 02/07/12 09:00, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El Dilluns, 2 de juliol de 2012, a les 01:45:14, Dominik Haumann
> > > va
> > >
> > > escriure:

> > > 7. The one that does the work decides I also want to note that
> > > developers that do not write documentation in docbook and that do
> > > not translate manuals are suggesting to switch to wiki (even if
> > > they agree they won't write documentation anyway) while people
> > > doing documentation and translation of manuals (Yuri, Burkhard,
> > > Chusslove) say the current workflow is good. Seems like the "The
> > > one that does the work decides" is being ingored.
> >
> > This is not in any way dissing the work of those that put in much
> > effort but -
> >
> > If the current system is so good, can someone please explain to me
> > why
> > distros ship with docbook help pages that were written years ago
> > and
> > not updated since?
>
> Maybe they don't need to be updated?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Documentation/KDE4_%28health_table%29
> looks quite green to me
Yeah, and, just as an other example, look at the state for Kate docs:

State of manual:

The manual is really nice, Burkhard and Hollingsworth really keep the manual up-to-date
and complete. Thanks to the brilliant work of our translators, we even get this translated!
Thanks to all for that massive work

State of wiki:

Look at http://userbase.kde.org/Kate
The user base page about Kate is just a small skeleton, even no german translation is around.

But, I agree, that it might be nice to have some predefined link in the menu to go to the matching userbase
page for the app, if available, in the right language, to allow the user to discover this additional information
more easily

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann at AbsInt.com