KDE Frameworks 5: Rhythm

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jan 23 00:15:21 GMT 2012

On Sunday, 22 de January de 2012 12.08.57, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Valentin Rusu wrote:
> > Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> * KAction/QAction stuff - Don't know what's needed. If QAction needs new
> >> virtual method that would need to be determined soon. Is anyone driving
> >> that? Again, needs subtask here if it's going to happen:
> >> https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20885
> >
> > Well, I volunteered for this item but "real life/job" got a hold on me
> > since the last meeting. But now I'm getting more time for hacking.
> >
> > I wasn't aware about the QTBUG you linked us to. Thanks for that. And I
> > can tell I'm far from having a precise plan about KAction merge. But I'll
> > try to have one in a couple of weeks.
>
> Note that feature freeze of Qt is early February.
>
> There will be a feature window after that at some point, but it will become
> even harder to get anything in after that especially with no clear plan.

Please note that the task is for Qt 5.0 blockers: stuff that needs to happen in
5.0 because it cannot happen in 5.1 or later releases.

If this is about a few methods that need to change in QAction, it's probably
fine to do them even after the feature freeze. If it's a major change, it needs
to happen *now*. And by that I mean this week, starting tomorrow.

Do not underestimate the power of nitpicking. Even experienced Qt developers
get a lot comments to act on when making new APIs (see the QJsonDocument
review, for example).

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358