Suggestion to develop another fs notify service.

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Jan 14 21:17:04 GMT 2012

On Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:04:51 Stef Bon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using KDE for years, and very happy. But as developer of FUSE
> filesystems, I run into problems concerning fam and gamin. KDE is
> still using gamin if it's installed.

I think the thing that's missing from your proposal is why gamin is a problem.
I'm not saying there is no problem, only that I don't have the expertise
necessary as a KDE dev and it would probably be easier to have you briefly
explain the issue with gamin than for me to try to research it anew.

Assuming you develop an improved service it shouldn't be too much trouble to
have KDirWatch use it, especially if patches were to be provided. ;)

>From there we could discuss API design for a filesystem watcher although you'd
also probably want to at least alert the Qt and GTK (or GNOME) devs that
you're developing a new monitor so they can make any necessary feedback as
well. Likewise the freedesktop.org xdg mailing list is a good resource for
making announcements/proposals that will quickly reach some of the smaller
desktop environments (although I sadly doubt you would reach much consensus
there, it can at least alert you to unique issues that might come up for
desktops like LXDE or XFCE)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne