hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Jan 13 18:48:01 GMT 2012

On Friday 13 January 2012, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 de January de 2012 22.50.24, Ingo
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?=
> wrote:
> > If you want developers to switch to Qt 4.8 to get the KDE code
> > better tested with this version of Qt then simply ask developers
> > to do so. I see no good reason to force developers to do so.
>
> You know what happens when people are using a new version of Qt,
> right?
>
> They start using features from it.

Sure. And they are welcome to do so in their applications. But if they
want to do so in a library that many people depend on then they should
do so respectfully, i.e. without forcing everybody else to update to the
new version the same minute a new feature is used for the first time. As
Thomas wrote ifdef's can help.

In kdepimlibs we have lived quite well with this policy for years.

Regards,
Ingo