hard-dep for Qt 4.8

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 12 14:09:07 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 11 January 2012 17:38:11 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2012 11:47:00 AM Shaun Reich wrote:
> > Prompting motion for making Qt 4.8 a hard dependency for KDE
> > 4.9/master. Currently kde-baseapps/plasma/folderview does not build
> > against 4.7 due to an (albeit minor) api usage.
> >
> > Not sure how other areas in KDE fair against this, most notably the
> > Plasma area (with QML and what not).
>
> I would be against increasing the minimum Qt version requirement
> unless there is a strong reason to do so.  Like there are new features
> that we really, really need from Qt 4.8.
I don't think there is a feature which is a good reason, but a "bug". I am
quite sure that there are still some issues around q_delete_all and the other
changes in Qt 4.8 causing regressions.

Our distributions will ship 4.8 together with 4.8 and this combination might
just be untested by the maintainers. So I strongly suggest that we make Qt 4.8
a dependency for master just to get the code tested and fixed before distros
use it.

So unless there is a good reason why not to increase, I would like to see
master depend on Qt 4.8.

Cheers
Martin