[Kde-pim] Contact Aggregation [was: KDE Telepathy on its way to Extragear]

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:44:55 GMT 2012

On 06/01/12 12:40, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Nevertheless we later attended the libfolks talk and
> it is pretty much the same as Nepomuk's PIMO:Person, except that Nepomuk is
> a broader and general platform while folks concentrate solely on contacts.
> And given the effort to integrate Nepomuk more deeply into KDE Workspace,
> we simply chose to go with Nepomuk.

It is not exactly the same as PIMO:Person, you are confusing a
representation of something with a class + algorithms to handle
something. You might compare want to compare Folks to the library that
George Goldberg was writing, but we have being waiting for this library
for a lot of time now, and afaik the library is in a bad shape at the
moment, George was planning to make a lot of changes to the library but
he is currently inactive. Moreover you told me that we miss some major
feature in nepomuk (watching for property changes) so that will delay
even more the availability of the library.

I am not suggesting not to use Nepomuk, I am suggesting not to use it
for _creating_ new information but just to _extract_ information created
somewhere else (i.e. by folks)

Daniele