Binary compatiblity for liboxygenstyle.so

Modestas Vainius modax at debian.org
Sat Feb 25 11:29:31 GMT 2012

Hello,

On šeštadienis 25 Vasaris 2012 12:42:13 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> On 02/24/12 19:38, Andras Mantia wrote:
> >>
> >> Whattabout just linking liboxygenstyle static into the oxygen style?
> >> Problem solved. No more abi to manage.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, set the SOVERSION of liboxygenstyle to the version of KDE
> >> Workspace. As you have no external dependencies outside kde-workspace
> >> this should not give any problems for anyone.
> >
> > I tend to think proper soversion bumping would be a good solution.
>
> In both cases it does not fix (sorry for repeating myself) the true
> issue, which is that your plugin_path is not consistent with your
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I have always been wondering why people reject such a simple concept like
SONAME bumping. Unfortunately they do and personally I have already given up
on repeating  "if you break BC, bump SONAME" as nobody (seems or wants) to
hear.

> In fact, thinking more about it, I would be inclined to leave the code
> as it is now, because such BIC crashes make it fairly easy to spot the
> inconsistency, which otherwise can have much more pernicious effects.
> For instance I have had many bug reports about "this or that new option
> in the configuration ... does not work" (and it actually does work,
> except you are using the old pluggin), or worse:
> this or that optimization of the code (to fix slow pixmap allocation on
> NVIDIA to name one, as reported in a bug), that has "no effect at all in
> my case" (says the reporter), again because of loading the wrong pluggin.

> These two examples are much more complicated to spot and "fix" than the
> crash cases, and would occur more often if the "BIC" crash cases becomes
> "fixed", by any of the solutions proposed above.

This is just a bad POV in my opinion. Triggering crashes (sometimes
deliberately) in order to make people upgrade is simply cruel. It is better to
avoid conflicts altogether, isn't it?

> Also note that nowhere in KDE you can find an "About Oxygen" button that
> would tell you which so version you are using anyway ...

So maybe add one?

--
Modestas Vainius <modax at debian.org>