Binary compatiblity for liboxygenstyle.so

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo at oxygen-icons.org
Sat Feb 25 10:42:13 GMT 2012

On 02/24/12 19:38, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Friday, February 24, 2012 05:48:36 PM Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> On 2012-02-24, Hugo Pereira Da Costa<hugo at oxygen-icons.org>  wrote:
>>> I understand that. The point I was trying to make, is that you would
>>> still get the "old" pluggin, admittingly without crashing, but which
>>> would nonetheless be not correct.
>> Whattabout just linking liboxygenstyle static into the oxygen style?
>> Problem solved. No more abi to manage.
>>
>> Alternatively, set the SOVERSION of liboxygenstyle to the version of KDE
>> Workspace. As you have no external dependencies outside kde-workspace
>> this should not give any problems for anyone.
> I tend to think proper soversion bumping would be a good solution.
In both cases it does not fix (sorry for repeating myself) the true
issue, which is that your plugin_path is not consistent with your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

In fact, thinking more about it, I would be inclined to leave the code
as it is now, because such BIC crashes make it fairly easy to spot the
inconsistency, which otherwise can have much more pernicious effects.
For instance I have had many bug reports about "this or that new option
in the configuration ... does not work" (and it actually does work,
except you are using the old pluggin), or worse:
this or that optimization of the code (to fix slow pixmap allocation on
NVIDIA to name one, as reported in a bug), that has "no effect at all in
my case" (says the reporter), again because of loading the wrong pluggin.

These two examples are much more complicated to spot and "fix" than the
crash cases, and would occur more often if the "BIC" crash cases becomes
"fixed", by any of the solutions proposed above.

Also note that nowhere in KDE you can find an "About Oxygen" button that
would tell you which so version you are using anyway ...

Cheers,

Hugo