Binary compatiblity for liboxygenstyle.so

Pino Toscano pino at kde.org
Fri Feb 24 11:15:54 GMT 2012

Alle venerdì 24 febbraio 2012, Hugo Pereira Da Costa ha scritto:
> On 02/24/2012 12:01 PM, Pino Toscano wrote:
> > Alle venerdì 24 febbraio 2012, Hugo Pereira Da Costa ha scritto:

> >> Hi Pino,
> >>
> >> I think the real issue here is:
> >>
> >> despite the fact that you have a local kde build, the pluggins
> >> that gets loaded by Qt when running a KDE or Qt application are
> >> not the ones you compiled. An old one is used instead, that is
> >> inconsistent with the libraries it links to.
> >> The new, compiled one, should get loaded.
> >> No change of so name will fix that.
> >> Correct ?
> >
> > No, because the old plugin would link to the liboxygenstyle with
> > the old SONAME, which would not get overwritten/overridden by a
> > newer version coming from the local KDE build.
> > Except for the unversioned .so symlink, two versions of the same
> > library with different SONAME (properly compliled) are
> > co-installable.
>
> Hi Pino,
>
> I understand that. The point I was trying to make, is that you would
> still get the "old" pluggin, admittingly without crashing, but which
> would nonetheless be not correct.

In that case, the problem is, like also Thiago said, a simple issue with
the environment of the locally built KDE.

But even if so, if a non-KDE application would get the old plugin it's a
much better situation than crashing straight away because of a library
not correctly handling ABI breaks with proper SONAME bump.

--
Pino Toscano