Color Managing KDE

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 22 11:30:05 GMT 2012

On Wednesday 22 February 2012 Feb, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> A Quarta, 22 de Fevereiro de 2012 10:46:53 Richard Hughes você escreveu:
> > First, I apologise about the cross posting. Please drop any list which
> > isn't relevant in your replies, and please also cc me as I'm not
> > subscribed to either list.
> >
> > GNOME has been a color managed desktop by default for two releases
> > now, and I deliberately designed colord to have an open Freedesktop
> > DBus API that could be used by both desktops. Really, KDE just has to
> > include a KCM module to do the 6 things on this list and also perhaps
> > include a simple control center panel to configure it.
> >
> > Basically, I need a KDE dude. Of course, I can help quite a lot and
> > mentor the project, but I’ve never really coded Qt or C++ in anger, so
> > to speak. If you’re interested, I could maybe even set up a Google
> > summer of code place as well, although I’d prefer it to be an existing
> > person familiar with the KDE community so there is some ongoing
> > maintainer.
> >
> > If anybody is interested, let me know and I’ll set up a meeting and we
> > can talk and discuss details. Thanks.
> >
> > Richard Hughes
>
> Use case here I want this :D, please guys help Richard. Yill make you free
> icons :D and mybe pay you a beer or 2.

While I agree that KDE needs colormanagement built-in, especially with artists moving to KDE (I get almost no bug reports for Krita from gnome users anymore, while that used to be the majority...) it's not like nothing has been done before for KDE:

Especially:

http://www.oyranos.org/2011/11/kde-and-colour-management/
http://www.oyranos.org/kolormanager/

which are now, afaik, being used in OpenSUSE. There's quite a bit of contentiousness between around this topic, and I have to say, while I don't get the technical differences all the time, I do understand the friction I see happening on, e.g., the openicc mailing list.

With all the respect I feel for Richard, I do think that this is yet another of those technologies that get developed in splendid isolation for Gnome, forced upon the Linux world by Redhat, claimed to be a standard and which is then used to complain about KDE's lack of involvement yet again. It makes me feel a bit unhappy.

--
Boudewijn Rempt