Please avoid noisy merge commits in frameworks

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:55:39 GMT 2012

2012/2/19 Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:

> First, our hooks are in python - so any changes would need to be in Python
> as well.

I can speak a bit of python, would be a nice way for learning more :)

> Second, there is a legitimate use for pushing merge commits - namely
> integrating a seperate remote branch. I have no idea if it would be possible
> to determine if this is a local only branch merge or not.

Indeed merge commits are useful in that case - although there's a
different pattern in the ones Stephen was complaining about, since you
always merge master onto (remote) master in such commits which never
makes sense. And besides that, as many on this list already know, I
advocated multiple times for crystal clear git policies across at
least all KDE core repositories - this is just one of the issues to
tackle.

> Third, please ensure that you disable the previously mentioned auto-rebase
> on git pull if you are merging a reemote branch, otherwise you will
> duplicate many commits, in addition to triggering the hooks for all those
> commits (which will not happen if you just merge). The hooks could even
> decide to reject your push, as it will contain too many new commits.

Also interactive rebasing can help here, but at this point a
fetch+rebase -i is actually a better option.