Please avoid noisy merge commits in frameworks

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:12:27 GMT 2012

Dario Freddi wrote:

> 2012/2/19 Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com>:
>> Stephen Kelly wrote:
>>

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I was reviewing the changes in the frameworks branch from yesterday.
>>> Something I noticed was that there are a lot of merge commits that don't
>>> need to exist.
>>
>> Ugh. Yet more of this just appeared... Recent history in the frameworks
>> branch looks far more complex than it is and is harder to follow.
>>
>> There are too many people unaware that they're doing it maybe...
>
> What about having a small volunteer day in which we draft some
> policies for git commits and eventually implement some hooks to avoid
> these (and other) things happening?

There's some ideas for such hooks on the Internet already:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2039773/have-remote-git-repository-
refuse-merge-commits-on-push

I don't know ruby or shell scripting well enough to write something sysadmin
would accept, but I would definitely welcome such a hook.

Thanks,

Steve.