Drop Win CE support in KDE frameworks branch ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 12:17:13 GMT 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012, Till Adam wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> I don't think it's a big problem in frameworks. I had a look through
> >> 'git grep -A3 WINCE' and it's mostly just excluding kjs, khtml, nepomuk
> >> etc.
> >>
> >> In the frameworks world, those simply wouldn't be built on WINCE.
> >>
> >> The places it is used in cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake don't even
> >> look WINCE specific, but more related to cross compiling?
> >
> > Yes, and the problem is it's not done properly.
> > I don't want to keep those hacks in the build stuff for KDE frameworks.
> >
> > AFAIK this is mostly KDAB... last year at the Desktop Summit I had the
> > impression that you don't have new WinCE projects anymore?
>
> We don't have projects involving KDE and CE at the moment, that's correct.
> That said, CE and more importantly Windows Embedded Compact 7 will be
> supported in future Qt versions and likely used still, in the embedded
> space.

Win CE has these limitations regarding processes, memory space, etc.
Personally I think we shouldn't even try to support OSs with such limitations
in KDE.
What about Windows Embedded Compact ? That's more or less a "normal" Windows,
right ?

> So if we can keep kdelibs at least possible, on these platforms, in
> particular once we have the frameworkification in place, it would be
> beneficial. If it becomes a pain, however, it's not worth clinging to, in
> my opinion. If you tell us how you would want it done right, we can see
> about doing the necessary work.

Somebody would have to sit down and add proper cross compiling support to
kdelibs, not just make it kind of work for him. I.e. fully understand
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling and follow it, get the necessary
Win CE patches into cmake, and potentially extend the cross compiling support
of cmake.
I mean, you are building kdelibs for Windows CE using cmake, while official
cmake does not even support Windows CE.

Alex