Drop Win CE support in KDE frameworks branch ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:23:04 GMT 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have support for Windows CE in kdelibs.
> At least on the buildsystem side, this looks more like a hack.
>
> Do we want to keep this for KDE frameworks ?

I don't think it's a big problem in frameworks. I had a look through 'git
grep -A3 WINCE' and it's mostly just excluding kjs, khtml, nepomuk etc.

In the frameworks world, those simply wouldn't be built on WINCE.

The places it is used in cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake don't even
look WINCE specific, but more related to cross compiling?

eg :

kdeui/KDEUIMacros.cmake:        if(NOT WINCE)
kdeui/KDEUIMacros.cmake-        find_program(PNG2ICO_EXECUTABLE NAMES
png2ico)
kdeui/KDEUIMacros.cmake:        else(NOT WINCE)
kdeui/KDEUIMacros.cmake-        find_program(PNG2ICO_EXECUTABLE NAMES
png2ico PATHS ${HOST_BINDIR} NO_DEFAULT_PATH )
kdeui/KDEUIMacros.cmake:        endif(NOT WINCE)

> I'm for removing it. WinCE is IMO just too different for us to support it.
>
> Basically that's also what Till said in his talk at the Desktop Summit
> "Limits of portability" or something like this.

It can probably be implemented better (with indentation for one thing :)),
but I'd like to defer the decision until more splits are done.

Thanks,

Steve.