Review of kdev-python for move to extragear

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:28:53 GMT 2012

2012/12/25 Pino Toscano <pino at kde.org>:
> Hi,
>
> (please do not top-post, thanks.)
>
> Alle venerdì 21 dicembre 2012, Sven Brauch ha scritto:
>> the two-week review period for this project (kdev-python) has passed.
>> The only complaint raised was related to the python fork in the
>> repository. Was the necessarity of this sufficiently explained by my
>> follow-up email, or does anyone think this issue needs further
>> discussion?
>
> I still think the modified copy of the python sources is really a bad
> idea, from both a security and a maintaineance points of view, and thus
> it gets my -1.
>
> --
> Pino Toscano

Hi,

Alright, so what do you suggest? The only way I see to avoid a fork
currently would be writing a custom parser. That's a huge effort with
questionable effect on the resulting product which I'd rather not
take.

Also, I'm still not sure what exactly concerns you about security and
maintenance. Problems I see include increased build time, and
maintenance efforts for me personally in updating the fork, but none
really seem fatal. Can you elaborate a bit about which problems you
expect in particular? Maybe we can discuss whether they're really
fatal or what could be done to avoid them then.

Best regards,
Sven