Review Request: Do not wait for remaining Dr.Konqi instances without timeout when ending the KDE session

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:23:16 GMT 2012

于 2012年12月10日 19:27, Rolf Eike Beer 写道:
>> The only downside is some backtrace might be lost. But I don't think
>> that is a big deal. Crashes during shutdown are rare cases nowadays(I
>> hope I'm right), and users noticing those crashes only hours later are
>> the rare case in rare cases (but very annoying).
>
> I regularly get them, most times something Kontact related. What about
> just saving the backtrace to disk? Next step could be on next startup to
> check if there are automatically saved backtraces and ask if to
> drop/save/report them.

Just to make it clear, when I say "some backtrace might be lost" I mean
under the cases that bug 126073 complains: "Users think their systems
will shutdown as expected but hours later find it hasn't  because
startkde waits for Dr.Konqi forever". The proposed change will not stand
in the way of users who already notice the crash at the first place and
want to save/report the backtrace.

Saving backtrace to disk is of course good, but unfortunately Dr.Konqi
doesn't seem to have a dbus call for that operation at the monent. As
for "Next step", see the comment from George Kiagiadakis. That is not an
easy task and might take a long time to implement or never.

On the other hand, bug 126073 is a big annoyance to anyone who has ran
across it. And it has been there and annoying users for a long time.
Comparing the big benefit and small lost of the proposed change, I think
that "Some backtraces might be lost" is really not a big deal.

Regards
Jekyll