kcmsambaconf removed from kdenetwork-filesharing

Del delonly at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 10:52:19 GMT 2012

I just realised that System Settings no longer has the kcmsambaconf module for
configuring Samba. The only trace I found of the decision was a Debian bug
report:

It seems it was removed due to lack of developer efforts, but since NFS is
somehow also part of the discussion it is confusing. Personally I consider
Samba configuration (in system settings) a critical part of KDE, even among the
top ten modules for system settings. I have no problem editing smb.conf
manually, but a large part of our potential user base does. It is also
extremely unfortunate to remove functionality that works, which users have
come to rely on. As far as I can see there are few bugs reported on this code
after it's major revision a while back, so I find the removal rather puzzling.
In any case, I would like to do whatever is necessary to get this code back
in.

Hence, I am grateful for any information that can help me see what is needed.
There apparently was a discussion on this, is this discussion available
somewhere? Maybe some of the participants in that discussion can share exactly
what they see as necessary for kcmsambaconf to be included again, or maybe I
have misunderstood something here?

Thanks,
Del