[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces (forwarded from plasma-devel)

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 01:59:00 BST 2012

Am 28.08.2012, 23:35 Uhr, schrieb Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:

> And as been already said nobody is forcing you to use it, you can
> disable the feature.

That's not the point. I can take care of myself, thanks.
(And for the records: the tarball code actually defaults to "false" -
security opt-in is apparently a ubuntu "feature" then)

But i frankly wonder what kind of philosophy drives one to make a Display
Manager an Account Manager - and what that does imply about the rest of it
and for the future.

What would be the advance over a package
"add_guest_user_accout.deb/rmp/whatever" which any distro that targets an
audience which is likely not able to add an account themselves is free to
ship anytime and that is not bound to an essential gate keeper where it
adds uncontrolled account manipulation to the system?

To make that clear:
This is not about LightDM ./. KDM,  Ubuntu or me in person but I object
such kind of task unrelated "feature" which (as of being a temporary
account) is debatable itself and that for probably even questionable
reasons (seems to align to the ubuntu specific gdm-guest-session package)
- but I'm willing to be enlightened about the striking advances of this
integration.

Cheers,
Thomas

If I btw. google for "lightdm guest account" the most prominent results
are "how to disable guest account in ubuntu"