Review Request: print-manager on kdereview

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Mon Aug 27 20:59:37 BST 2012

On Sunday 26 August 2012 06:34:30 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
> 2012/8/25 Christoph Feck <christoph at maxiom.de>:
> >> Well CUPS has it's own API for authorization, which is why I
> >> avoided the polkit solution s-c-p-gnome now uses. It wasn't easy
> >> to make it work right since CUPS API blocks, but it works
> >> reliable now that I wrapped it on a thread.
> >
> > Okey, so what you do in printer-manager is completely unrelated
> > to kauth.
> >
> > What I am interested in is, how we can use your knowledge to
> > avoid the mistake in the kauth design for frameworks.
>
> Hmm what kind of mistake are you talking about? I like polkit, but
> I don't think it fits CUPS design, for printd (a possible CUPS
> replacement) it will make all sense.

I am talking about whatever design mistake is responsible for bug
242648, which isn't about CUPS at all. Sorry for side-tracking this
thread. I was just thinking that with your expertise on the
authorization-related stuff, we could plan better for the future, so
that we don't carry this bug over to frameworks.