[RFC] Merging LightDM into KDE Workspaces (forwarded from plasma-devel)

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Aug 22 23:53:19 BST 2012

2012/8/22 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:
> El Dimecres, 22 d'agost de 2012, a les 13:58:57, David Edmundson va escriure:
>> As you're all probably aware I've been working on a new login manager
>> for KDE [1]. Currently known as LightDM-KDE, named as it is based on
>> the display manager backend LightDM [2].
>
> How's the upstream of ligthdm? Have you worked with them? Do you feel it's an
> upstream open to our needs?
Lightdm is NOT a Canonical project, it is developed by Robert Ancell
and as far as I know there's no CLA to sign. (I haven't contributed to
the project yet) From the very few moments I spoke to Robert I'd say
working with him is really nice and there won't be problems.
Regarding the Canonical-CLA-issue: I also had my bad experiences with
this, so please, please, never do anything like this in KDE (again)!
But for LightDM I have no objections, +1 from me for this!
(btw, I agree with Sune: One display manager is enough. But we could
do a "transition phase" where both DMs are present. I'd also like to
hear what KDM developers think about this.)
Cheers,
   Matthias