TechBase git policies, infrastructure documentation, please

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Apr 29 18:02:38 BST 2012

On Sunday 29 Apr 2012 13:11:19 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to look how our current branching, committing etc. git polices are.
> So I went to techbase.kde.org -> Development -> git.
>
> Nothing at all about git policies:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git#KDE_Git_Policies
>
> Ah, maybe git stuff is actually here:
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Commit_Policy
> No, no mention of git.
>
> I wanted to find out what's the deal with git scratch repositories:
> no mention
>
> Can somebody please take care of the sorry state of our git documentation ?
> There were so many people supporting it, can please somebody document it ?
> On techbase.kde.org, not in some blog or wherever.
>
> Thanks
> Alex
>
> P.S. I'm not sure whether we have a kde-git mailing list, but kde-core-devel
> should be fine...

Here's the main Git specific pages we already have:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git - Home page
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Configuration
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes

I've tried to keep them up-to-date, but people should feel free to add more
advanced topics as they find them, even if it's just a TODO stub to show what
needs to be added.

For the actual repo layout and building KDE step-by-step that can be found
under http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started especially under
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Sources, and for individual modules in
their pages under http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build

The http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual page is really only the
SysAdmin manual, it shouldn't be referred to by us mere mortals :-)  If
there's anything that needs to move to TechBase from there please do so.

I did make a start on drafting a replacement policy at
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Draft/Commit_Policy but didn't get far as I
was waiting for things to settle down and a "One True Workflow" to emerge.
There are various proposed workflows on community such as
http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Git_Workflow, but it has always been a
source of contention so it's hard to finalise a policy.

Cheers!

John.