TechBase git policies, infrastructure documentation, please

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Apr 29 17:03:35 BST 2012

On Sunday 29 April 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > git is a powerful tool, and you can use it in many different ways. It
> > needs to be easy to find out how git is intended to be used in KDE. I
> > don't know where this is documented. I expect this on techbase.
>
> It is indeed not on techbase as far as I can see too.
>
> Do you have specific questions?
>
> Are you looking for tutorials on how to use git generally (not KDE
> specific),

I kind of manage to get along with it in the mean time, if I know what I
should do.

Ok, here's a question: I'd like to modify the buildsystem for
kdelibs/tier1/itemmodels/, but in some branch so others can have a look at it.
What is the recommended way to do this ?

> or are you looking for policies (KDE specific)?

This one.
What is the git workflow/are the git workflows to use in KDE.
Including use cases like doing minor fixes, normal feature development,
experimental stuff to show somebody, etc.

Ideally including the typical git commands to use for that.

If we have multiple recommended workflows, it would be really good to have an
overview where I can see which workflow should be used where.

E.g. below you describe what should be done in kdelibs.
Now if I want to fix something e.g. in kdegames, where do I find out what
workflow should be used there.
This should be on techbase.

Did we settle on the branch names ? Is this documented on techbase, in the git
section ?
Having it somewhere in a blog is only slightly better than nothing.

KDE should have a place where you can easily find how to start development.
While with cvs and svn there is mostly one way to use branches etc., with git
you can do whatever you want, and we don't have this documented.

E.g for CMake itself this is documented here:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git

Something similar for KDE is missing, at least on techbase.

Alex

P.S. Stephen, you're doing great work on KDE frameworks :-)