Setting up a Quality Team within KDE

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Apr 12 22:03:04 BST 2012

On 12.04.12 22:26:33, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2012 21.01.53 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > We use Squish at work and it works well.
>
> I've been on many projects and often the project manager thinks they need
> squish, but in the end it just doesn't have any positive impact on the product
> or the quality.
> The most recent project I was on for almost a year had a whole testing team
> and they have tried to get our Qt app to be tested using squish, this is a
> project that followed very specific UI specifications so its a dream to have the
> squish kind of testing for it.
> In the end it was hardly used for mostly technical reasons, and we never got
> to a point where we had a positive report of a regression. And we certainly
> had regressions ;)  The tool just never found them.

Having an army of testers doesn't necessarily help with writing good
tests.

> Its not squish itself thats a problem per sé, its the concept of testing the
> way the application looks which is broken by design.  I think it would be good
> to avoid spending resources on this.

Interesting, this contradicts our experience using Squish in-house :)

But it certainly requires quite a lot of work up-front and lots of
refactoring, its basically its own project to come up with good tests
and a good test-framework so that adding new tests is easy enough to
have lots of tests over time.

I can see how that is a bit of a problem in FLOSS, at least I as a
developer am more interested in debugging bugs or adding features than
coming up with a test-framework so that I can later on easily add new
tests.

Andreas