Setting up a Quality Team within KDE

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 11 16:59:27 BST 2012

On Wednesday 11 April 2012, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 April 2012 6:38:52 PM Michael Jansen wrote:

> > > Let's please end this discussion about the various tools and stuff here
> > > on k-c-d.
> > >
> > > If you want to talk about those things, please use the new kde-testing
> > > mailing list or the IRC channel which are dedicated to the broader
> > > topic.
> >
> > I am starting to get annoyed by that please follow me to the secluded
> > place over there so noone can listen in thing that is creeping up in
> > kde.
> >
> > I do no consider this ml a to high volume one and this stuff is in my
> > opinion exactly what this list should be about. By moving the discussion
> > out of here you just guarantee that whatever is chosen will sit in
> > obscurity like before.
> >
> > Because i won't follow you. And i guess some others won't either.
>
> I don't get your objection.
>
> Well, I sorta do.
>
> I agree that CDash vs. Jenkins vs. Foo is a valid topic for core-devel.
>
> But  KDE Quality Testing is a valid subproject, not of interest
> to everyone, and therefore should be discussed in separate channels,
> as per our time-honored tradition.

IMO this is not so much a time-honored tradition, it just became more in the
last time.
It may be also worth considering whether it is really a good idea to start
from scratch with a new mailing list, instead of reusing an existing one in
the beginning, and switch to a separate list once a certain critical mass has
been reached. By using an already existing list in the beginning more people
will follow, offer advice, and maybe help.

Alex