Setting up a Quality Team within KDE

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Apr 9 21:29:17 BST 2012

> Hmm, that may work if your project has usually no warnings, but I find
> this for warnings to be too much noise.

We have also had many warnings back then. :-)

> The CI mails should immediately
> tell me if CI is considered broken (and warnings are often not
> considered that) or not and if its broken show me the error so I don't
> need to go to the website to fix it - ideally.

That can be done as far as I know. It also shows the warnings, but it
might be that you need to click on the link you receive in the email,
if you have many warnings. It redirects you to the list so that you
can go through your codebase to fix those. I have never found the web
interface for this goal disadvantageous yet.

>> I will also try out this Jenkins in the future once I find the time
>> for that, but I have been a happy CDash user for about ten months by
>> now. :-)
>
> build.kde.org can give you a pretty good idea of how jenkins "looks" and
> can be used to do CI.

I do not personally find the page aforementioned having that
professional layout as the CDash site, but that might be just me.
Also, I personally find the CDash site simpler to use.

My personal worry is that, I would not like to refactor the setup
already existing and working just fine for a while unless there is a
compelling reason and the switch is simple. Also, I do not see
Playground projects on the build.kde.org site. In addition, if it is
just for KDE, it would result me using different services for Qt
Playground and KDE projects. That would be a bit unhandy. I could use
CDash for both.

That having said, CDash was designed with CMake in mind. We already
depend on CMake and CTest. Those three projects are maintained by the
same company, if I am not mistaken, called "Kitware" (and probably
also by community volunteers). Therefore, we can be sure about the
integrity and so forth. On the contrary I can somewhat understand the
need for a community driven site even if it is quite unlike Kitware
just goes away. They have not been doing that with cmake either for
many years. They respect KDE, and Alex has always been very helpful
with those topics. :-)

The current setup is comfortable and good enough to me, but I am open,
thus I will check out Jenkins.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp