Setting up a Quality Team within KDE

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sun Apr 8 16:13:54 BST 2012

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf <
annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:

> **
>

> Indeed, Nice idea, I think this is the right focus to (auto)test the
> functionality/features of the app. I've searched some info about this topic
> and found this:
>
> http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/Home
>
> It has full support for KDE/Qt (>4.x) apps and the scripts (for
> autotesting) can be written with Python.
>
> My 0.5 cents :)
>
> Cheers,
> Percy
>
> Yes this is maybe the best free tool to do the job. DO you or anybody have
> used it already?

Does that tool support QML? Is there an active team behind it?

Writing UI tests ("functional tests") is a hell of a lot of work and
choosing the wrong tool means in 2 years we may need to maintain the tool
ourselves or rewrite all the tests for another tool.

I can tell you TestComplete's support for Qt is pretty limited. I have not
tested LDTP because we needed support for Windows and Linux for our Qt
projects.

Squish is the best tool we evaluated at work for Qt, it does support Qt
Quick and there is a company maintaining it (Froglogic, founded by KDE
developers and employing many KDE developers). A few more arguments
pro-Squish: it's cross-platform (which means we can run the same tests on
Linux, Windows, Mac and any other platform we support) and the
client-server architecture is very useful when testing client-server
applications, actual environments and/or using virtualization to run the UI
tests after each daily build.

Talking about virtualization, what we do at work is we have daily builds
for master and stabilization branches and we run tests in virtual machines.
We are currently testing on 12 platforms. We have several "testing
profiles" (test suites) so that we can quickly say the equivalent of "this
version of kdelibs is broken, do not bother performing any further testing:
just flag this build as broken". Everything is automated and launched from
the continuous integration tool as the build finishes.

I'm a bit out of the testing stuff at work, and very very busy, but if we
are serious about it, I can still give some advice and ask some of the
verification and validation people if they are interested in joining.

PS: Let's continue the discussion in kde-testing@

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org