RFC: i18n: strict translation call-to-catalog mapping

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Apr 6 09:45:30 BST 2012

> [: Oswald Buddenhagen :]
> the "inlined" should be hint enough that i'm talking about code size. even
> small inefficiencies add up, so a functionally equivalent but more
> efficient solution is generally preferable.

You have got to be kidding me. Gettext designers apparently haven't thought
about doing this back in 1995, when 16 MiB of RAM was enormous, 1 GiB disks
were huge, and Pentium FPU was the favorite laughingstock (last bit for
dramatization only).

Note also that while basic Gettext workflow is tightly integrated into
Autotools (single line in Makefile.am generating make targets down to
extraction and merging of catalogs), nowhere was this kind of optimization
suggested.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)