GSoC: automatic brightness adjustment

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:47:41 BST 2012

Hi,

Il 04 aprile 2012 03:12, Vadim Dombrowski <pftbest at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>  Hi!
>
> I'm a student of Belarusian State University and I would like to
> participate in GSoC 2012.
>
> The idea for my project is to create an automatic brightness
> adjustment mechanism using web-camera as light sensor.
> Today a lot of laptops have integrated web-camera, but don't have any
> light sensor. So you should manually change brightness every time the
> ambient light changes.
> Using web-camera as light sensor should give enough information to do
> automatic adjustment.
>
> So I am interested whether this is a good idea? And if it is, how can
> I find/contact mentor or team related to brightness in KDE?

I would be your best contact point for it probably. I admit I am not
really fond of the idea - keeping the webcam on and busy all of the
time to make it act like an (inaccurate) light sensor is quite a waste
of resources to me, and most laptop users would rather live without
auto-adjustment than with 1 hour less of battery. A proposal about
integrating light sensors (and maybe more hw capabilities) would be
instead much more interesting from my POV.