The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 08:28:05 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 23:57:53 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I don't like the fact that KDE developers decided to ignore their own policy
> on maintenance updates.  I think it breaks your contract with your
> downstreams.  In the case of what's been done so far, it doesn't have an
> impact on us.  The changes were in before our release and are technically

the features that got into the 4.7 branch to date have been things that were
already worked on before the Frameworks decision was made. it's was an odd cas
were features had been worked on while 4.7 was frozen with the expectation of
a 4.8 ... and that left us with the choice of having a 4.8 release which we
didn't want for those few features, leaving those features out and screwing up
the planning of the applications depending on those changes or fudging a
little bit.

it was a compromise choice made to mimize downside. as with all such
compromises, it isn't perfect (ergo the label of 'compromise'), but after
looking at the issues and looking at different scenarios we decided this was
the best option available to us compared to the others.

note that some of the more actively changing and developed code in kdelibs
have moved to separate git repositories already to make this issue moot for
them (kactivities, nepomuk)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se