The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 08:20:45 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 18:11:12 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Wait and see the chaos that will come up when users open their Help/About in
> Konqueror and it tells them that they're using "Konqueror 4.8.0 under KDE
> 4.7.6". (And yes, it still says only "KDE" in 4.6.5, I haven't checked 4.7
> or 4.8 for whether that's fixed there.)

it says "KDE Development Platform x.y.z".

> >> The rule so far has always been that the kdelibs
> >> version must be the same as the KDE SC version.
> >
> > There is no rule – at most a common practise
>
> A "common practice" which had been enforced by minimum required kdelibs
> versions in CMakeLists.txt.

for, e.g. kde-workspace, that minimum version for kdelibs is 4.7. it may be
even lower for other modules (many apps probably compile with rather older
kdelibs than that). this really isn't an argument for or against a 4.8 ..

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se