KNotify-considerations for frameworks

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:37:22 BST 2011

Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> A Dijous, 22 de setembre de 2011, Sune Vuorela vàreu escriure:
>> On 2011-09-22, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>> > This means that as a user if the developer decides to use a "Popup" I
>> > can no longer configure the application to do nothing? Or to play a
>> > sound?
>> No. It just means that the responsibility is handed over to the
>> application developer if they want to offer that functionality,
>
> So frameworks is going to make me as application developer do more work?
> That is not what i was sold.

I'm not familiar with any of the code you're discussing (I haven't read it),
or the features (I haven't used them), but I think this is a good point.

We do need to be cautious about how we change things for app developers and
users as a result of frameworks work.

<snip>

Sune Vuorela wrote:
> Make teh current knotify stack use the above code for popups and move it
> either to kde4support or to the high level platform integration bits.
> Depending on where it goes, I would like to also fold in the knotify
> daemon into the KNotification classes, as a daemon to - mostly rewrite
> dbus messages - seems a bit extreme[x].

If this is source and behaviour compatible with what KDE applications do
currently, it might be ok.

This is something that I think should be part of not 'kde4support' which
sounds deprecated and do-not-write-new-code-with-it, but kde-platform-
integration, which does the right thing (and the same, consistent thing) for
KDE applications, and which should be used by KDE applications - using it is
what makes an application be a KDE application.

If the code underneath that integration layer is refactored and different to
what is is in KDE4 kdelibs, that's another matter. If the new design is
better (I have no idea), and if the refactored code is useful outside of KDE
applications (I have no idea), it might be worth doing that refactoring.

All the best,

Steve.