synching kactivities in kdelibs/4.7

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 19 17:48:11 BST 2011

On Monday, September 19, 2011 11:51:23 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Monday 19 September 2011 10:27:18 AM Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to ask for comment about the plan to update the copy of
> > libkactivities (which resides in kdelibs/experimental/kactivities) to its
> > latest status. The latest status is BIC compared with the copy in kdelibs,
> > but required to build workspace master, and Plasma Active.
> >
> > Moving towards Frameworks 5, we've split out the kactivities library into
> > its own repo (kde:kactivities), but left, for compat reasons, a copy back
> > in kdelibs (which now ran out of date).
> >
> > Initially, I thought we could get away with this, but it causes more
> > headache than I think we should bear, especially with kdelibs master
> > being frozen, and the changes just touching the experimental lib.
> >
> > Right now, kde-workspace master depends on these changes, and so does
> > Plasma Active. There are no other users that I know of, so the scope of
> > this change is rather minimal.
> >
> > Any objections to this?
>
> To avoid confusion and having overlapping installations of libkactivities
> I think you need to rename the new kactivities.

there is no confusion. this isn't a separate project replacing another one
with the same name .. it's the _same_ project, just progressing the API. if we
look at who is using this library, it's the same people who have been working
on it and who have done this subsequent move.

the mishandling of kdelibs/experimental has retarted the usage of this library
by other code that probably should, something i was not very impressed by. but
there's a bright side: it makes this move very simple because nobody is
matterially affected by it.

note that this is really no different than how things were previous to this
move to a separate repository. the difference is that instead of being in
seperate branches (and Plasma Active images therefore effectively shipping a
fork of kdelibs), the only remaining reason for the branch is now in a
separate repository.

> Maybe even go so far as to deprecate the old kactivities in kdelibs 4.7

it is deprecated by definition: the major .so # has been bumped.

> kactivities-ng or some-such for the new version

as sebas already noted, this is why it is kdelibs/experimental.

i'm happy to remove it from the 4.7 branch if that's ok with packagers. i'm
also happy with having the old version in the 4.7 branch and the new version
in this repository.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se