[Nepomuk] Nepomuk code moved to nepomuk-core

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 17:21:20 BST 2011

On 09/17/2011 04:30 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dissabte, 17 de setembre de 2011, Sebastian Trüg vàreu escriure:
>> On 09/16/2011 11:46 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> A Dijous, 15 de setembre de 2011, Sebastian Trüg vàreu escriure:

>>> This is suboptimal regarding translations since now we have 2 different
>>> repositories that want to create a translation template with the same
>>> name. Please comment out or remove the Messages.sh file from
>>> kde-runtime/nepomuk
>> damn, I always forget the translations. Very sorry about that.
>>
>> Now what is the solution. To be honest I am very confused about the 4.8
>> release. kdelibs master is frozen. kde-runtime master apparently should
>> be frozen but is not.
>
> There is no reason kde-runtime master should be frozen. kde-runtime master
> will be part of the 4.8 release and has to compile against kdelibs 4.7
>
>> There will be no changed in kdelibs for 4.8 but
>> Nepomuk needs them (well, we could do them as bugfixes in 4.7 also).
>
> Not sure I understand the sentence so won't answer.
>
>> Then what about kde-runtime master? Should we continue to work in there
>> until 4.8? If so, I would disable translations on nepomuk-core and only
>> enable them for 5.0.
>
> If all those nepomuk-* repositories depend on frameworks, they can only be
> released with 5.0, so yes, we should disable translations there.
> If all those nepomuk-* repositories do not depend on frameworks and will be
> released with 4.8 (you shall inform the release team about it since there is
> yet another tarball to release) then you need to clean kde-runtime because
> otherwise we will be shipping duplicate code.

since I really do not want to maintain two branches I propose removing
nepomuk from kde-runtime master completely.
However, since nepomuk-core also contains all the nepomuk libs which are
now in kdelibs 4.7 we need to act here, too.
I propose that we move to include path nepomuk2. The main library is
already called nepomukcore. I am not sure about that yet. So maybe it
could be renamed to libnepomuk2 also.
That way we would have the libnepomuk from 4.7 and the new stuff from
libnepomuk2 and the only thing we need to ensure is that the 4.7 libs
still work with the services from nepomuk-core. Applications are then
advised to already depend on nepomuk-core instead of kdelibs.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Sebastian