systemd and KDE (was: Re: kdeinit)

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:13:01 BST 2011

Regarding integration - for a long time I've been interested in adding
support to System Activity (ctrl+esc thingy).  In Windows, the task
manager has a tab for both processes and for services, and you can
switch between the two.  So you can right click on a process and jump
to its service, and vice versa.  This integration makes a lot of sense
since its often better to stop the service than to just kill the
process.

I've been somewhat waiting for the fight between upstart and systemd
to be resolved, and also it would be good to have the following DBUS
calls available to non-root users:

1) Return a list of currently running / stopped / runnable / etc  services
2) Provide user-friendly information about each service.  (Short
description that I can show to the user)
3) Provide a list of PIDs for a given service
4) Return the service for a given PID

Can these calls be added if necessary please?

JohnFlux