Proposal to use QIcon in APIs in KF5.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 8 10:36:03 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:08:06 todd rme wrote:
> The original email explicitly said it would not be deprecated, so
> there appears to be some disagreement on this issue.

oh, the iron! :) the disagreement on the issue to deprecate came about due to
a disagreement on irc that was hardly technical. iow, it's unwaranted
disagreement driven by unwaranted disagreement. this is the kind of self-
reinforcing cycle of negativity that we really need to work on avoiding in the
name of constructiveness.

and it's all in the part you quoted:

> "I do not (anymore) recommend any other changes at this time, such as
> removing, changing or deprecating KIcon, because it seems to be
> (surprisingly to me I must admit) a contentious issue."

the contentiousness of the issue is what made Steve take a step back. this is
highly unfortunate as the objections were made without sound technical basis
and the intensity of the push-back had nothing to do with technical issues and
everything to do with (percieved or otherwise) social, community and partner
issues.

we can, and need, to hash out those topics. but let's do so in a place, time
and way that doesn't risk the quality of our API in the process. let's keep
the technical discussions focused on the technical. let's keep our objections
based on facts. let's give each other the kind of feedback that will improve
the suggestions that are made, and keep that friendly and constructive even in
disagreement.

if we do that, then the above reason to back off from deprecating KIcon and
putting it in a support library, which is a good decision in this case,
evaporates and we can get back to making great libraries for our applications
to use. we may even avoid frustrating those doing the work so that they
continue to do the work that we all rely on.

does that make sense?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se