Proposal to use QIcon in APIs in KF5.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 8 09:59:56 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 09:36:41 todd rme wrote:
> Several people have proposed moving to a separate module classes that
> are needed for existing applications but pose a problem for new
> developers, are no longer needed, or clutter the API.  From what they
> are saying, this seems to ease the porting efforts since KIcon will
> not have to be changed to QIcon for any existing software, while
> freeing the rest of the frameworks from dependence on this class and
> making to clear to developers the QIcon should be used for any new
> software.  This, from my reading, does NOT involve deprecating any of
> the classes placed in the module, they will continue to be supported.

no, they absolutely will be deprecated. it will be like libkde3support, which
will be going away in Frameworks 5 (due in large part to the Qt3 support going
away in Qt5).

however, the rest of what you write is correct: add another library to link to
in your CMakeLists.txt file and you're done. since the move to Frameworks 5
for an app will require changing the target_link_libraries line anyways, this
isn't any more work and is a simple thing to do.

meanwhile, if we look at what KIcon actually does for an app, this discussion
becomes a wee bit silly .. for those who haven't already, i suggest opening up
kicon.cpp and taking a look :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se