Proposal to use QIcon in APIs in KF5.

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Sep 7 16:13:47 BST 2011

On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 16:01:05 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:42:47PM +0300, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > In other words, before changing something so it needs porting, people
> > really should look at the real, actual codebase of a couple of big
> > projects that might be affected.
>
> it doesn't matter how many TLOC are affected if the change is fully
> automatable. in fact, for qt5 we defined "source compatible" to mean
> "porting can be fully automated".

How often does it happen that a change can be 100% automated though? Even in
the KIcon case, the s/KIcon(/QIcon::fromTheme(/ suggestion would fail for
source of the form "KIcon *foo = new KIcon("icon");"

Sure, you can hack around that to make a regex that doesn't fire if preceded
by new but how do we ensure *that* regex doesn't leave any other failures? At
least in this case the result would fail to compile, an even worse case would
be a semantically different automated port.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne