Qt 4.8 QUrl.toLocalFile behavior change, impacts to KUrl (and friends)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Oct 27 20:22:11 BST 2011

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On Thursday, 27 de October de 2011 13:32:51 Rex Dieter wrote:
>> See also,
>> http://bugs.kde.org/285028
>> ( and https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-22382 )
>>
>> In Qt 4.8, QUrl.toLocalFile now seems, by design, to return NULL for urls
>> lacking any scheme.  Discovered this the hard way figuring out why all my
>> audio knotifications were quiet.  Since audio event sources are simple
>> filenames, e.g. KDE-K3B-Finish-Success.ogg, and
>> QString soundFile = soundFileURL.toLocalFile();
>> no longer works.
>>
>> Any suggestions or advice on how best to deal with this?
>
> As we discussed on IRC, any string source must be properly labelled
> whether they are a URL or they are a local file. They cannot be both.

I understand that (and I agree, fwiw).

However, KDE has seemingly many cases where this is not followed wrt string
source, knotify audio event sources (in notification defaults or even users'
existing config files) and kynotifyconfigactionswidget.cpp's use of
KUrlRequester class are examples.

-- rex