Screensaver to be or not to be

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Oct 13 20:09:54 BST 2011

On Thursday 13 October 2011 20:49:29 Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> I understand and agree to the technical reasons against keeping the
> current architecture but that does not mean that I agree to all the
> other arguments.
I just want to point out once more that we will not remove anything which is
possible today. The only thing we remove is the coupling of screen
savers/animation with screen locker. This means
* if a screen saver is configured, this screen saver will be used also in
locked condition in 4.8
* in 4.9 we will switch to a new QML based screen animation framework inside
the screen locker. This means even if an old screen saver is configured the
new screen locker will kick in. With other words: all the fancy things while
screens are locked are still possible, just with a new framework \o/
* it is still possible to just use xscreensaver without configuring the lock,
so all the old stuff is still possible \o/
* it is still possible to configure any script in power management profile,
this can be a screen saver or any other fullscreen application or gwenview
started as diashow or whatever \o/

So can we please stop the discussion? We are not removing something which will
not be possible any more. We just decouple the automatic triggering of screen
animations with screen locking as those are orthognal approaches.

Cheers
Martin