kdelibs 4.8? What to do about GENERIC_LIB_VERSION?

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 22:07:16 BST 2011

Am Mon, 03 Oct 2011 22:41:11 +0200
schrieb Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> The big difference is that kdelibs 4 and KDE Frameworks 5 are
> different (sets of) libraries with incompatible APIs which will be
> shipped alongside each other in distributions for years. So this is
> not a normal freeze, it's a permanent freeze of kdelibs 4.

a) I guess i would not be a big deal to "backport" features once the
transition is done and the frameworks tagged ABI stable (iff there's
requirement for adding features to 4.7), ie. just re-open kdelibs4 then
(there's really no justification but "strategical" reasons in denying
that, iff it has been denied - what i would have missed)

The question would rather be who will maintain KDE4 then and what makes
features not added this weak more important than feature not added next
year "because kdelibs4 is in maintenance mode".

b) As far as I understood, "KDE5" is more about disintegrating kdelibs
and the unavoidable ABI break is just a welcome occasion to tidy up
API, but API breaks are not the driving factor and will in general
remain far below KDE3 -> KDE4.

In this case "porting" would be recompiling and relinking, so if one
*desperately* wants a new feature in an application (since libraries
don't have features for their own sake) one would just "port" to the
"KDE5" frameworks, yesno?

Cheers,
Thomas