The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Arne Babenhauserheide arne_bab at web.de
Mon Oct 3 21:37:38 BST 2011

Am Samstag, 1. Oktober 2011, 08:27:02 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> One of the main reasons for the rebranding was to realize that "KDE" is not
> one product, but a community that  produces multiple products among them a
> desktop environment (Plasma). What you just try to tell us is that the
> complete rebranding is nonsense and we should go back to talking just about
> KDE for everything bringing the users back to assuming they need Plasma in
> order to use KMail.

I think that runs short. “KDE” is what gets a happy KMail user to try
Konqueror or Plasma.

In my opinion, it is important to make sure that people realize that these
aren’t just random development frameworks, but the proven and powerful KDE
frameworks.

Even better: These are the KDE Frameworks 4.8, the same version the rock
stable KDE Workspace 4.8 uses, so it is really a good idea to use them as a
base for your application.

But for that you need the release to be clearly correllated: This is version
4.8 as released and tested by the KDE community.

> I really like the fact that finally we have a release where it will be clear
> that KDE is the community and not one large  product. All those who did not
> get it yet, might finally understand it if we write a really good release
> announcement.

I don’t like that “if”…

And besides: As much as KDE is a community and not one single product, many
people will still want to just run the KDE software collection on the KDE
workspace and code using the KDE frameworks.

In short: They want to get the full package and not have to worry about
details.

Best wishes,
Arne