The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Oct 2 18:35:15 BST 2011

On Sunday, October 02, 2011 11:07:29 Thomas Zander wrote:
> So the way I see activities is that you can map a lot of those settings that
> are frankly all over the place onto a real-world activity.
> Plasma added a nice user interface for it and things suddenly became more
> consistent.

This is great, and should continue. In fact I said as much in my other emails.

> So to go back to the initial point, in my view the power management and the
> activities concept are not at all orthogonal, its a natural evolution.

The are orthogonal. One is "this is what I'm doing now". The other is "this is
how I want my computer to manage power-related options". They are correlated
certainly, but not necessarily so.

And look at it from the user perspective. The DE *should* be smart, but if the
user decides that this one time he wants the computer to act as if the AC cord
were plugged in even though it's not, and even though he normally wants
something different in the current activity then who are we to tell them
otherwise?

And even assuming the user knows how to do this, if they want to change power
management options we are saying that they need to duplicate an existing
activity, change the power management options in that new one, and switch to
that new activity to do *the same thing* they were doing before. The only one
doing something different now is the *computer*. This is my point about
orthogonality.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne