The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Sun Oct 2 15:26:16 BST 2011

On Samstag 01 Oktober 2011 16:27:48 Dario Freddi wrote:
> We focused on simplicity,
> still without losing power-user features

Quite frankly: What you describe sounds way more complicated. Don't see any simplicity in
your proposal. Instead since the introduction of Power Management / PowerDevil 2.0 things
got more and more complicated. Excuse my blunt language but as an outsider who does not
develop the power management module, the PM development occasionally looks like this: “GPU
can't handle decoding your HD videos and the CPU is ageing? Well, now you need to write a
script to set the CPU clock speed to maximum instead of adaptive to avoid playback
stutter. Oh, and btw, for simplicity we populated the power profile list with 4 additional
completely new profiles BrightnessControl, DPMSControl, DimDisplay, and SuspendSession
that do absolutely nothing.
And now we make you use desktop activities even if you have no use for them beside PM
control. We always hated it that activities are not widely used on Plasma Desktop.”

The ability to couple PM profiles	with activities is cool. Forcing users to do so is not.

Bye.