The future of Power Management - together with Activities

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 09:48:45 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org> wrote:
>> The part that I think is confusing is to make is so that one changes the
>> way power management works in some cases so that it's not in power
>> management. It's going to confuse approximately everyone who cares that is
>> not a KDE devloper.  It may be that few enough people care that aren't
>> involved in KDE development that that's OK, but this is really
>> counter-intuitive.
>
> I think nobody here is going to tell you that its indeed change, there will be
> a change in what some people need to do. Hell, you might even have to start
> using activities! But its good change, change that makes the mental load less
> after the initial hump.
>
> At the same time it should be stressed that if you don't have any advanced-
> power management requirements, the only change you will notice is that you
> need to care even less about the power management as more is done
> automatically for you.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we shouldn't allow users to tie
power management to activities.  I think the point is we shouldn't
require it.  Of course integrating the power management with activites
make sense, but I don't think making that the only way to configure
your power profiles makes sense.  That is the point of disagreement
here.

-Todd