The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Oct 2 09:14:06 BST 2011

On 01.10.11 23:02:40, Dario Freddi wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2011 21:03:10 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > What happens if I don't use activities at all since they provide no use
> > for me? And whats also not clear to me: How can I get powermanagement
> > configured so it never dims down my screen brightness (since thats
> > making the display useless for me) even on low battery? Can I still
> > adjust what lid-down does in ac, no-ac and low-battery mode (the latter
> > currently goes into suspend-to-disk as opposed to ram)? Can I still
> > configure for each profile when it does the suspend? Can I still choose
> > what "low battery" means?
> >
> > I agree though that 2 'low' levels are more or less useless, once the
> > battery is reaching a very low level I just want the machine to do a
> > suspend to disk.
>
> *facepalm*
>
> Let's try to answer this concern once at all: the possibility of editing
> profiles will NOT be thrown away. To make it easier, here's how the new config
> UI will work. Take a new KDE installation, open the profile configuration
> dialog, and forget about the actions at the bottom of the list (new profile,
> delete profile, etc.). That's pretty much how the UI will look like: you will
> have 3 profiles, one for each state (AC, Battery, Low Battery) you can
> configure to your purposes.

:) It wasn't really clear when I read your mail, so thought I'd better
ask - only to find out that others already did. Sorry if I caused you
another headache.

> In addition, you have a separate section where you can override some settings
> based on which activity you are in. It's exactly like it is now, except you
> can not MANUALLY change the profile (e.g. by using the applet)

Hmm, that means I have to learn about activities if I ever want to watch
a movie while I'm without ac... I don't really like that, especially
since I only do this seldomly and I don't use activities otherwise and
hence always have to check again how this worked.

Andreas