The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 19:38:09 BST 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 20:07:12 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Andras Mantia <amantia at kde.org> wrote:
> > I can't comment on activities, never used them, nor feel the need to use
> > them. So this sounds more like the power management applet would force
> > me to create and use activites.
>
> +1. Actually I'm confused by the concept of activities as a whole: On
> one hand, there are libraries now for reacting to activity switching.
> On the other hand, activities are said to include running
> applications, so apps will be closed when switching to a different
> activity. That seems contradictory.
>
> That makes it difficult for me to see where power profiles come into
> this game: Does this mean that when I want to switch to a different
> profile, does this mean that I have to create a new activity when I
> want to change to a different power profile, which would mean that all
> running applications would close because they belong to the previous
> activity?

I'll let the activities guru answer properly on the previous part; however,
the point is that if you never switched a profile manually you will not even
feel the difference, as it's simply going to behave the same way. If you were
doing such a thing, depending on why you were switching, you might need to
create a new activity.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer