The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Oct 1 11:11:02 BST 2011

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the features that got into the 4.7 branch to date have been things that
> were already worked on before the Frameworks decision was made. it's was
> an odd cas were features had been worked on while 4.7 was frozen with the
> expectation of a 4.8 ... and that left us with the choice of having a 4.8
> release which we didn't want for those few features, leaving those
> features out and screwing up the planning of the applications depending on
> those changes or fudging a little bit.

Not all those features are merged in yet, see e.g. my Plasma PackageKit GSoC
work.

> note that some of the more actively changing and developed code in kdelibs
> have moved to separate git repositories already to make this issue moot
> for them (kactivities, nepomuk)

That is also a nightmare to packagers. Especially kactivities is a big
problem because kde-workspace 4.7 (not 4.8!) is now reported to rely on a
new kactivities which is not in kdelibs 4.7. That makes no sense whatsoever.

        Kevin Kofler